Crimean tatar bows 90# and 110#

Here is a summary of these bows that i just got finished. I’ll fill in details if anyone is interested!
130cm long both, pretty wide, but decent reflex. The one with less grip reflex is the 90# one.

ec2545b3aadba5f801a25f7217951a09759bd134

In Finland the boys are strong! My good friend @Hartonen drawing 110# @ 32".

1 Like

Sweet bow! Very nice indeed :slight_smile:

Thanks! I was happy to see these bows taking longer draws well. Even 33-34" is possible for this length. And the materials are just saying “gimme more!!”. :smiley:

I try to tweak the 90# bow so that i can shoot it next summer… Maybe try to drive it down to 80-90# @ 34".

Hey Jere, you have to be quite strong if you are able to draw 110 pounds on scale hook right up by one hand . I suggest you to not drive down this bow and rather train slightly more - but cautiously :slight_smile: . Good luck with “overdrawing” your nice bows !

Is this horn piece insertion method for strengthening the tips the traditional way of splicing?

Please, could you give us the thicknesses of the layers of wood and horn from this picture, where the values of 10,4 and 10,5 are written ?

Thank you, you might be right! I have done quite a lot of strength training but it hasn’t transferred to archery that well… Maybe my training regime with heavy bows has been a bit wrong.
I’ll definitely be able to work my way up from ~80# @ 30" bow to 90# @ 32" and so on.

Yes the horn inside the tips is a traditional way to strengthen the tips. I don’t really know exactly how they did it and where the horn wedge ended, but generally it went like this. Its pretty nice since with heavier poundage bows the string will start to bite the nocks. Heaviest bows had horn wedge, sinew wrapping below nock and maybe even the leather nock.

The 10,4mm and 10,5mm are measures from the most thinnest place in the whole bow. Meaning kasan eye. Core is made convex-concave, so it will create a illusion there is a lot of horn. But actually there is less horn there. Maybe 5mm still? Then wood fills the rest 5,5mm. But when you shape the convex-concave core, you end up in this situation that the wood comes almost to level with horn.
I don’t take exact measures of horn/wood thicknesses, since i don’t think it matters. Only when its a heavy bow (120#++) and you have 6-7mm+ of wood, you might run into situation you break the wood core.