Jere's Scythian bow

Looking really nice, Jere!! Measure twice, cut once as we say! Could you have “lost” 15 cm in the V-splice overlapping process?

Thanks Ken, i do like the curves too.
Your comment brought up a ramble i had in my head:
I find it hard to take in multiple compliments about this stuff. I guess its ok to get them since i like to compliment others also. Maybe its a Finnish thing! I’m working on it.
But facebook however feels like overwhelming amount of admiration to any stuff you put there. When i’m absent from there i feel fine, but when i post a bow there, even my modest work get hundreds of likes and i get uncomfortable. I find it a bit too much. I can only imagine how overwhelming attention Ivar and others get. Just feels super weird.

I like the comments that have some insight though!! And of course compliments from fellow bowyers. :smiley:

I think i lost the length when i had to make the deflex bends get closer to the handle and also when i had to cut lower limb shorter. These are hard to estimate when you have only seen images and are trying to copy your first time… There will definitely be a new one coming at some point. Its fun construction.

But to all of thos complementing their asses off in facebook i would like to say scythian feels a bit clunky compared to turkish. There is no winning of turkish bow in smoothness and performance, haha!

Its sitting now at 86# @ 28", but here its drawn 25". I worked more on the tips and tiller, but its more or less like its here.

1 Like

The bend got turned upside down. :smiley: hah. No worries i already scraped a lot out of that top limb. I also pretty much prepared it for sinew bindings. 25mm wide everywhere, except handle is 27,5mm. I don’t know where did i get the idea that i had the bending sections narrower, but apparently i lacked the courage. :smiley: Maybe next bow will have some 19mm wide bending limbs!

Here 77# @ 27"

Maybe It’s your wrist pushing bottom limb out. If I understand that “upside down” correctly. Anyway beautiful bow. This design looks more like it is from a fantasy movie, rather than a historical replica.

Yep, in that picture top limb is the longer one and should have more bend. However its the lower one, most likely because of wrist position and such. When horn bows get thinner, they start to shift more with tiller.
Thank you, even the greeks made it into their art so im not surprised we did too. :smiley:

I just did some sinew bindings on the bow, they sure add a lot of weight to it… 1 layer is finished and the bow gained about 30-40g more mass. :open_mouth: 1 layer left.

This bow is magnificent. Wish I had time to give this a try. Fantastic work, congrats.
Now back to the paper from Shelby, did you reduce width from above the handle? I remember the width in that section is less than anywhere else. Never could understand that except if compensation from the v splice being too long and reaching that section…

Thank you! I actually found the bow somehow straight forward to do, only lot of stuff to joint and assemble. Not so hard compared to “normal” bows.

I had the plan to make the bending parts considerable narrower, but after sinewing it got so wide i decided to just go with it. Dimensions are about 26mm wide handle, 25mm bending sections, 25mm tips.

What i have understood and seen there were bows like this, more or less uniform width. This is the easiest configuration to to, since you have more stability.

Maybe next bow i will have a little bit of more length and ~20mm only at bending sections.

ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS, Jere. Congratulations!

Thank you very much Ken. :smiley:

Now only birch bark is left to do. I’ll have a summer harvest, so it must wait.
The bow has gotten stronger, 90# @ 28" and 78# @ 26,5" (here drawn).

2 Likes