What did you do today?

Yep yep. But also for best quality, cooking time should be longer for what i know. Its time consuming and takes so much effort, that i’ve found best to buy hide glue from dictum. A kilo costs some 10e.
However sinew glue is authentic and the consistency might be a bit different. Its good glue.

I did some calculations that i have used 10kg of hide glue making hornbows, sinew backed wood bows and all wood composites. :smiley: With 30% yield that would mean over 30kg of sinew scraps… uh!!

30% is still only half of the collagen content of sinew. Next time I will soak the sinew for a few days and boil it for longer. If that doesn’t help, I will try lye.

1 Like

Second try. 119g of sinew scraps, 3 days of cooking at 70°C (Kani also wrote that bowyer would cook tendons for several days, until the tendons become like leeches), straining every 24 hours.

Yield was 62%, 72 grams of glue, 20% per day.

At the end it really looked like leeches, it was gross to touch :smiley:

1 Like

My new helper for horn shaping. I use it after rough shaping with adze.

1 Like

Cool! That is a proper setup. Makes it a lot faster, i bet.

10 minutes with adze and 15 minutes on this and it is ready for grooving.

1 Like

12 posts were split to a new topic: Horn sizing

New core. First I didn’t like the shape, I thought that kasans are too short.
Then I discovered this bow, so everithing is ok and shape is perfect now :smiley:

1 Like

It looks good. What is something you might not see at this shape is, that when you add horn and start shaping the core, the side view changes also.

You take almost all of that wood of from sal-section, but at kasan you keep much more wood. This effectively makes your core a little bit more reflexed, if you know what i mean. At the core shaping stage you can fine tune with kasan eye. If the core was reflexed in more even c-shape, you would have even more possibility to decide where the kasan ridge starting point is.

1 Like

Lets revive the daily topic.

These past days i have had my manchu bow braced and drawn to 93# @ 33". I need to do some final work and draw it to 34 or 35". Seems pretty legit, quite heavy in mass (1000g) but crazy energy storage.
Looks like i will be able to shoot it by hand my self, so thats a positive.

1 Like